Attending the EDCO Conference and Showcase will be the most cost‐effective professional and organizational development choice you make all year. It is the most relevant and densely‐ packed educational and networking opportunity available to economic development practitioners like you. The informative keynote addresses, breakout sessions, and other learning opportunities will enable you to expand your industry knowledge, learn about game‐changing trends, share new ways to improve productivity and competitiveness, and enhance the practice of economic development to build your community of tomorrow.
However, we understand that the economy is impacting many travel and training budgets, leading to many budgets being reduced or eliminated. Here are tips to support your case to attend EDCO’s 61st Annual Conference and Showcase:
- Focus specifically on what you will bring back to the organization as return for the investment, and how this will benefit your work, your organization's goals, and the community. For example, what sessions will you attend and what immediate impact will they have on your work? What exhibitors will you visit on the Showcase floor and how will this help your organization? Which experts will you have access to and what knowledge would you bring back to share with your organization?
- After the conference you will take valuable knowledge home with you. Offer to deliver a briefing to your colleagues and/or the management team to share what you learned so that others in your organization will receive the benefits of your attendance, too.
- Share speaker handouts and other collected materials with your colleagues. As a delegate, you will have unlimited and free access to speakers' materials posted on a password‐protected section of the conference website.
- Be ready with a plan that shows who will cover for you while you are attending the conference.
- Ask "what is the cost of NOT attending," in terms of both your ability to stay abreast of new developments and missing valuable tools, perspectives, and relationships that will help your organization anticipate, adapt, and take action to build your community of tomorrow.
- Be sure to check out the registration page where all the various rates are listed to see if you qualify for any of the lower rates or discounts. Don’t miss the early-bird deadline of January 19, 2018 and stay in the hotel block for additional savings!
- Share the article about how to calculate ROI of the conference How to Justify Conference Attendance by Mike Doyle.